Wednesday, January 4

Francesca Woodman

I would wish to be in New York for her exhibition at Guggenheim! Not that I knew of her work until now but I still have the chills while I'm typing this after I encountered her amazing photography.

Born in 1958, Woodman committed suicide at the age of 22 in 1981 by jumping off from a loft apartment in New York because of a heavy depression. In her photographs it seems like she wanted to portray her own misery by using her own body, sometimes by using another women silhouette or an object while depicting her inner pain by using long exposures. I found her work very conceptual and surreal while I still feel the thrill for reality.

On Being An Angel
Francesca Woodman: From Angel series, Rome, 1977
Francesca Woodman: House #3, Providence, Rhode Island, 1976
Francesca Woodman: Untitled, Providence, Rhode Island, 1976





No comments: